Friday, September 21, 2012

The New F Word

Why is Lady Gaga's weight gain a top news story?  Even though she gained a bit of weight she is still far from obese.

I am so tired of this scrutiny about people's weight (primarily women).  I am not immune to the societal pressure to be thin.  But what are we striving for?  Because when I really examine it, it's not thin I'm chasing.  I am thin.  I wear a size 2-4, and yet every single day I feel like I need to lose weight, and am constantly aware of what I eat.  What I'm really chasing is being super skinny.  Underweight.  Stomach virus skinny.  I don't think I'm the only one either.  This is where we are now.  Women's bodies have downsized.  I recently saw Working Girl and was shocked at how fat Melanie Griffith was in it.  But she wasn't fat at all back then; she was thin.


 I don't know how fat became the new F word, but it really needs to stop.  I don't know how much thinner we can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment