Sunday, September 9, 2012

New York Fashion Week--Day 4

For me today was all about Chado Ralph Rucci.  I met Ralph about a year ago when I interviewed him for my book, New York Fashion Week.  I knew of his work before then, but not much about the man himself.  It is still one of my favorite interviews I've ever done, especially because we were surrounded by his stunningly beautiful clothing.  I found him to be humble, good humored and passionate about his work and the fashion industry. He is not one to follow the pack, and does things his own way.  I was amazed to learn that his clothes are produced in house.  He is a throwback in certain ways, yet his work is completely current.

Ralph Rucci is more than a designer; he is an artist.  He is actually a painter, and will hand paint some of his garments.  People may say his clothing is expensive, and it is, but buying a garment of his is truly like buying a work of fine art.  I'm spending the week reporting about Fashion Week for fashionWATCH Canada, and had the opportunity to interview many of his clients tonight including Martha Stewart, Carmen Dell'Orrefice (who was breathtaking in a long red Chado Ralph Rucci coat) and Deeda Blair.  They all spoke about Ralph's unmatched craftsmanship, and of their loyalty to him.  Other Chado Ralph Rucci fans I interviewed tonight include Paula Abdul, Hamish Bowles, Ken Downing, Fern Mallis, Linda Fargo, and Jay Manuel.

The show was stunning.  I absolutely loved his use of color.  When he showed pink dresses, and then yellow dresses I started to think I should clear my closet of my black dresses.  But then he sent out so many black dresses that were some of the most beautiful I have ever seen.  The models were so fortunate to wear them, even just for the show!  His standing ovation was well deserved, in fact it seemed like not enough of a thank you.  This is always one of my favorite shows of the season, but this one was even beyond what I could imagine.

I can't write about Ralph Rucci without mentioning his wonderful sister Rosina.  Rosina plays a major role at Chado Ralph Rucci, as I learned when she took care of everything I needed for Ralph's inclusion in my New York Fashion Week book.  She went above and beyond to make sure the section I wrote about him was perfect, and I continue to be impressed by her every time I see her.

Ladies, if you have the means, I highly recommend going to Berdorf Goodman or Neiman Marcus as soon as this collection comes in!




No comments:

Post a Comment